There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. These everyday preventive actions are adapted from the CDC to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home and keep children home from school when sick. Follow your physician and ACHD guidelines regarding returning to work/school following illness.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask.
- CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
- Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to others.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- In addition, the CDC and other public health agencies recommend that all persons 6 months and older receive a flu shot.
- Derry Area School District cleaning supplies all meet CDC requirements and are in good supply.
- In addition to our regular thorough cleaning, custodians are using extra care to wipe-down high contact surfaces on a daily basis.
- Good hygiene is being reinforced with all students and staff. Elementary students are receiving a reminder lesson from school nursing staff regarding hand washing and respiratory etiquette.